Top Oils for Better Sleep
Sleep is one of the most common issues I hear people talk about – sleep for themselves, their kids, their partners and their parents.
The impact of a poor night’s sleep is long lasting.
Poor sleep can not only affect the person who is lacking sleep, but those around them – their family, their colleagues, their friends.
Conversely, a good night’s sleep, can alleviate these consequences. Imagine waking up feeling refreshed, full of energy and ready for the day, whatever it brings!
Essential Oils can help support a restful sleep.
How do I use them?
Topically, Aromatically, and Capsules.
Dilute in a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil. I use Fractionated Coconut Oil as it absorbs easily into the skin and doesn’t stain the sheets.
There are a few reasons why you should dilute your essential oils:
- They are very potent – and you only need a little bit to have a therapeutic effect
- To reduce risk of skin irritation – particularly for those with sensitive skin and for repeated use
- To help your oils stretch further
- To help spread over a larger area (e.g. the soles of your feet – otherwise one drop would not spread very far)
Apply these oils (diluted) to your forehead, pulse points (wrists, neck), over your heart, and on your feet.
You can also add 4-5 drops of your favourite sleep oils (total) to your epsom bath salts with a dash of Fractionated Coconut Oil – the magnesium helps to relax the muscles and the oils help to relax the mind too. Make sure you use oils that are pure (not synthetic) and avoid citrus in the bath.
“Switching off” at night can be difficult
Using a diffuser with a few drops of essential oils in it can help to settle and calm the mind during your bedtime routine. Turn your diffuser on while you’re winding down prior to getting into bed: have it on while you’re getting changed, brushing your teeth, reading your book etc.
Diffuse one drop of lavender essential oil in yours or your child’s bedroom – keep the door ajar to ensure adequate ventilation
Essential Oils can help support the sleep of little ones right through to older adults.
doTERRA have a blend called the ‘Serenity’ Gel Caps. These are great to take with water or chamomile tea prior to getting to bed.
Oils to support sleep:
Lavender Peace (Restful blend)
Easy Air (Respiratory support blend) – some people find that their sleep is improved when their breathing is supported at night
Zendocrine (endocrine support blend)
Examples on how you can use them:
- Swipe a drop of cedarwood on your forehead before sleep
- Make a 10mL roller bottle blend by your bedside to roll on prior to sleep or after waking up. Favourite blends include:
Frankincense, Lavender Peace, Vetiver, Cedarwood and Bergamot
Lavender, Frankincense and Easy Air
Zendocrine– roll around kidneys/liver if waking up around 2-3am
- Diffuse Lavender Peace and Easy Air during your winding down routine – 1-2 drops of each in a standard size bedroom should be enough
- Place a drop of Frankincense on your thumb pad and then press to the roof of your mouth prior to bed
- A drop of Easy Air on the big toe of any potential snorers
Don’t forget about other means to support your sleep such as:
- Avoid technology prior to bed; blue light filters on apps/computers may help minimise sleep disruption
- Use of apps such as Smiling Mind to help the mind focus away from your thoughts and onto yourself and sleep
- Avoid caffeine prior to bed (yes, this includes chocolate!)
- Exercise during the day – this can help improve the quality of your sleep
- Meditation/yoga/gentle stretches during winding down routine
If you’d like to get a more restful sleep and you haven’t already been working with someone with dōTERRA essential oils I would love to help you out. Simply click here